“Listen carefully, my child, to your master’s precepts, and incline the ear of your heart” (RB Prol1)
Benedict starts the rule of his Order with these words. Kremsmünster Abbey is a Benedictine Abbey. Throughout our approximately 1200-year-lasting history (founded in 777 AD) men have tried to make the ideal of living together come true. Influenced by prayer, work and reading the brothers claim to live their lives for and with God and the people.
The brothers of our abbey work in the field of youth education (grammar school, Treffpunkt Benedikt, youth club), pastoral care in the 26 parishes around the abbey and in special religious welfare (companionship, offers to live one’s faith) as well as in many areas in the abbey itself (forest, agriculture, vineyards, arts, science, store selling home-made products, …)
We see ourselves as a community for praying and living, which does not exist for its own sake but we also feel responsible for the people of our region. Our presence intends to encourage faith, helps people to get to know the monastic community and accompany individual people in questions and turning points in people’s lives. We invite you to visit our house and above all meet our community!
“Let nothing be put before the Work of God.” (RB 43,3)
According to that common prayer celebrating the Holy Communion is the most important aspect in our life and a link to other people. We cordially invite to pray and celebrate with us.
Monday until Saturday
06.30: Monastery Service in St. Michael’s Chapel – Thursday at 06.00 in St. Mary’s Chapel
08.00: Service in St. Mary’s Chapel
12.00: Midday Prayer in Abbey church
18.00: Vespers in St. Mary’s Chapel
Sunday and Feasts
Saturday evening mass at 19.00 in St. Michael’s Chapel
Service at 9.15, 11.30 and 19.00
High Mass with choir singing at 10.15
Vespers at 18.00 in St. Mary’s Chapel
While being a religious centre, the monastery is also a place for precious art. You can visit our museums within a guided tour. We offer tours in English, Italian and French, which need to be booked in advance. A tour requires a minimum of four people.
We offer the following tours in German language:
Art collections including the imperial hall, the treasure chamber, the Tassilo chalice, gallery of paintings and art objects, library (60 minutes)
Nov., Dec., Jan., March: 11.00, 14.00, 15.30;
April until October: 10.00, 11.30, 14.00, 15.00 and 16.00; daily
Mathematical tower or tower of sciences including science collections, astronomy and others, panorama terrace (90 minutes)
May until October: 10.00, 14.00 and 16.00 during the holidays and on weekends
From 1st Nov until 30th April the tower is closed.
Giftshop: shop and information
Information and registration:
Marlene Rauscher / +43(0)7583/5275-150 / firstname.lastname@example.org
We neither have a hotel nor a house for seminars. We invite people who decide to stay some days in the tranquility and simplicity of a monastery. You can withdraw in our small and comfortable wing for guests (10 beds), enjoy the silence, pray with us and celebrate mass with us. Inquiries: Fr. Franz Ackerl, email@example.com +43(0)7583/5275-500
Kremsmünster was founded in 777 by Tassilo III, Duke of Bavaria. According to a legend Tassilo’s son, Gunther, was killed by a boar during a hunting expedition. The deed of foundation is more than a legend. Tassilo transferred an area to the abbey to cultivate and Christianize it. That’s why monks have lived, prayed and worked at this place for 1200 years. Considerable art treasures connect us with the time of the foundation of the abbey: Tassilo chalice, “Codex Millenarius”, a gospel book, and the Tassilo candlesticks. The monastery complex, constructed on medieval buildings, was converted to Baroque by Carlo Antonio Carlone and Jakob Prandtauer in the 17th century after the difficult time of the reformation. This is when the abbey got it’s today’s form. An impressive complex welcomes the visitors.
In the centre of our abbey there is the abbey church („Transfiguration of Jesus“). After the destruction of the first buildings due to fire, they started building today’s church in 1232. In 1277, the quincentenary, Abbot Friedrich von Aich was able to inaugurate the nave; another 200 years passed by until the gothic church was completed. Our abbey church is 78 meters high and 21 meters wide, the nave is 18 meters high and the side aisles are 12 meters high. Since the 17th century it was more and more converted into Baroque, which changed the church sustainably. Noteworthy is the picture of the high altar “Transfiguration of Jesus” by Andreas Wolf, 1712, and the marble Baroque angels by Johann Michael Zürn the Younger. These angels stand and knee next to the numerous side altars. The Flemish tapestries are unique as well; They show scenes from the story of St. Josef in the Book of Genesis and they come from Brussels, where they were weaved in the workshop of the Reydams.
The grave of Gunther, built in 1304, in the southern tower chapel finally connects us with the time of our foundation. Here, one can see how the church used to present itself originally.
Other Baroque buildings and sights are the fish ponds, the library, the imperial hall and the observatory. The spacious complex with grammar school, feudal estates, a park around the observatory, the garden centre is really impressive.
In the earlier history the abbey sometimes was at the lowest ebb: Between 1941 and 1945 the abbey was suppressed by the National Socialists, the decline of monks and other crises.
We want to face up to a checkered history with ups and downs and we are convinced that such a long history is not just a burden but above all a challenge. We intend to be a vivacious community of people, who search God, who help others to reach a fulfilled life and convey them that our abbey is particularly a place to meet God, as the Latin text on the frontage of the church says: “Indeed, God is in this place” (Gen 28:16)